Public Health Nutrition promotes, protects and supports healthy eating. The focus is on primary prevention, and the principles of normal nutrition, health promotion and disease prevention are employed.
The Nutritionist plans and implements nutrition programs for community groups, professionals and the public, focusing on primary health prevention.
In partnership with the public health network and communities, the Public Health Nutritionist:
- Assesses needs, plans, implements and evaluates programs to meet the nutritional needs of communities
- Researches and presents recommendations on new and existing programs as they apply to the health region and its residents
- Provides in-service education and training to health, education and other professionals in the health region
- Provides technical and policy consultation to health boards, health education and other professionals
- Reviews government documents and pertinent research to be used in implementing public health nutrition policy
- Works with the media to provide nutrition information
- Provides consultation and education programs for community groups and individuals
- Develops resource packages and programs
- Provides training and guidance to dietetic interns and their research proposals